Gender Mainstreaming in Frankfurt
- The process of Implementation
of Gender Mainstreaming in the City of Frankfurt started in January 2002
by establishing a Gender Team (within the Department for Women's Issues)
who is responsible for the organization of the implementation process.
- In the first step a strategy paper was developed, which roughly outlined
the future process of implementation of GM in Frankfurt. This paper serves
as a guideline for everybody who within the city is involved in the process
of change. The strategy paper will be continuously improved and specified
according to the current state of the implementation process.
- In August 2002 the City Parliament decided that the GM strategy should
be implemented at all levels of City's policy and structure.
- In May 2003 a hearing within the parliamentarian Committee for Women's
Issues was organized, where the politicians involved in Gender policies
could learn more about Gender Mainstreaming by national experts and where
the strategy paper was enhanced by national expertise.
- In addition to this hearing a network of representatives of major German
Cities was founded in order to exchange experiences on how to implement
GM in municipalities. This network meets at least twice a year.
- On the occasion of a regular meeting the members of the City Government
was made familiar with the GM strategy.
- In August 2003 the Alderman, responsible for the city's budget, declared,
that the city's budget plan will be improved by a gender dimension, starting
with the budget for 2005.
- In July 2003 the parliament decided that lectures on Gender Mainstreaming
shall be held within all of the 17 different committees of parliament
in order to make the members of parliament familiar with the GM Strategy.
This program started in March 2004.
- In November 2004 workshops on Gender Mainstreaming for all directors
of all city departments will be held.
- Right after these workshops all departments of the city are asked to
implement GM pilot projects within their branches.
- In the end of 2004 a city' task group will be established, where all
the departments of the City will be represented on high levels, who's
task is to direct the process of Gender Mainstreaming in Frankfurt. The
Gender Team will serve as Executive Directors within this group.
back to top --->